CSLB Applications & Related License Forms
To view, fill out and print the following forms from the California Contractor's State License Board (CSLB), you will need the FREE Adobe Reader program. If you don't already have this software installed on your computer, you can obtain a FREE copy at the Adobe website. Click here for more information.
Application for Original Contractor's License
For new applicants, when proof of experience and/or an examination is required.
Qualifiers are limited in the number of licenses which they may qualify. Factors such as common ownership between or among the entities being qualified are considered. Today, persons granted qualifier status are restricted to qualifying no more than three firms in any one-year period.
- A responsible managing employee must inactivate his or her sole proprietor license to qualify for another license, and meet certain employment requirements.
- On a sole proprietor license, the RME may be replaced by the owner or by another RME.
- On a partnership license the RME may be replaced by a general partner or by another RME. Note, however, an additional general partner may not be added to an existing partnership license.
- On a corporate license, the RME may be replaced by a responsible managing officer or employee.
Certification of Work Experience
Used to report/confirm your journeyman-level work experience.
- Include this form when submitting an Application for Original Contractor's License, Application for Additional Classification, or Application for Replacing the Qualifying Individual.
This form is to be used when submitting an Application for Original Contractor's License, Application for Additional Classification or Application for Replacing the Qualifying Individual, if the experience you claim is from owner-builder work.
- This form is used in addition to the Certification of Work Experience submitted with the application.
- One form is required for each completed construction project.
Application for Original Contractor's License (Section 7065 Waiver)
To be used for Section 7065 waiver (e.g., sole owner applying for a corporate license) only.
Section 7065 of the Contractors License Law states (in part)...
"No examination shall be required of a qualifying individual if, within the five-year period immediately preceding the application for licensure, the qualifying individual has either personally passed the written examination for the same classification being applied for, or has served as the qualifying individual for a licensee whose license was in good standing at any time during the five-year period immediately preceding the application for licensure and in the same classification being applied for."
At any time WITHIN THE LAST FIVE YEARS, has the applicant/qualifying individual...
- been listed on CSLB records as the qualifier for a license which was in good standing in the same class being applied for? OR
- personally passed both the Law and Trade portions of the written exam in the same class being applied for?
If the answer to either question is "Yes," this application is appropriate. If the answer to both questions is "No," please use an Application for Original Contractors License (above).
Section 4 Continued
For additional personnel.
- This form is completed and submitted along with the Application for Contractor's License when there are additional personnel to report on behalf of the applicant.
Licensed Sole Owner Applying for Corporate License
- This form is used by a sole owner to have his sole ownership license re-issued to a corporation. This form MUST be submitted with an Application for Contractor's License.
Application for Additional Classification
The application for additional classification is to be used only for adding classifications to an existing license.
- You can add any classification to an existing license for which you have qualifying experience and for which you pass the applicable examination.
Application for Replacing the Qualifying Individual
This form is used only for replacing the qualifying person on a license.
You can replace qualifying individuals as follows:
- On a sole proprietorship, with the owner or another qualified responsible managing employee;
- On a partnership, with another qualified responsible managing employee; and
- On a corporation with another qualified responsible managing employee or another qualified responsible managing officer.
Replacement must be made within 90 days of the disassociation of the previous qualifier to avoid a suspension of the license.
- Notification of disassociation can be made by the owner, partner or officer, or the qualifier who is leaving. Notification may be by letter or by using the Notice of Disassociation.
- Replacement of the qualifier may be made by submitting the Application for Replacing the Qualifying Individual, and appropriate fees.
Qualifiers are limited in the number of additional licenses which they may qualify. Factors such as common ownership between or among the entities being qualified are considered. Today, persons granted qualifier status are restricted to qualifying no more than three firms in any one-year period.
A responsible managing employee must inactivate his or her sole proprietor license to qualify for another license, and meet certain employment requirements. On a sole proprietor license, the RME may be replaced by the owner or by another RME. On a partnership license the RME may be replaced by a general partner or by another RME. Note, however, an additional general partner may not be added to an existing partnership license. On a corporate license, the RME may be replaced by a responsible managing officer or employee.
Failure to replace the disassociated RME or RMO within 90 days from the date of his or her disassociation will result in the automatic suspension of a license which is on active status. If the license has more than one classification, and the qualifier for the other class or classes remains on the license, the licensee may continue to operate in the remaining class or classes. The class qualified by the person who disassociated will be removed at the end of the 90 days unless replacement is made within that time.
Changing Business Name and/or Address or Certified Wall and/or Pocket Certificate
The application for changing business name and/or address is for use by licensees or applicants to report changes in their mailing addresses or to make allowable changes to their business names.
- Business name style changes generally may be made to those names which do not indicate that a licensee is operating in a classification not on the license, or to names indicating a different licensed entity; for example, a sole proprietorship license cannot add the word "Corporation" to the business name.
- Certified copies of the wall certificate and/or renewal pocket certificate may be ordered by the license holder only. Use the appropriate section of this name and address form. There is a $11 fee for each certified copy requested.
Report Current Officers of a Corporation
This form should be completed both to report officers who are to be removed from the Board's records for existing corporate licenses, and to report all current officers.
- This form cannot be used to change or disassociate a responsible managing officer or employee.
Cancellation Notice (License Only)
This form is to be used to cancel an individual, partnership, corporate or joint venture license. DO NOT use this form to cancel an HIS Registration (see Home Improvement Salesperson Registration Cancellation Request Form).
This form must be received at the Board’s Headquarter’s office within 90 days of the effective date of cancellation.
- TO CANCEL AN INDIVIDUAL LICENSE: The signature of the owner is required.
- TO CANCEL A PARTNERSHIP LICENSE: The signature of a partner is required.
- TO CANCEL A CORPORATE LICENSE: Your cancellation request must EITHER BE:
- (a) signed by the president and another officer listed on our records;
- (b) signed by two officers listed on our records; or
- (c) accompanied by a copy of the company’s final dissolution documents filed with the California Secretary of State.
- TO CANCEL A JOINT VENTURE LICENSE: The signature of an individual listed on one of the entities is required.
Application for Joint Venture Contractor's License
A joint venture license may be issued to any combination of two or more licenses issued to sole proprietors, partnerships, corporations or other joint licenses which are currently in effect and in good standing.
- The joint venture license may be issued in any classification held by at least one of the entities.
Use the application for additional classification or replacing the qualifying individual to replace the RMO or RME. (Use the Home Improvement Salesperson Registration Cancellation Request Form to cancel a HIS Registration.)
If the responsible managing officer or responsible managing employee disassociates from the licensed entity, either the licensee or the qualifier may use this form to make a signed statement of the exact date the RMO or RME left.
- Note that notice must be given, and the qualifier replaced, within 90 days from the date of disassociation to avoid suspension of the license.
Information on Alternatives in Lieu of Bond Requirements
You may obtain a bond form from either a bonding company or the CSLB. In lieu of a bond, you may also satisfy the CSLB requirements using other financial alternatives.
- Certificates of deposit or assignments from banks, savings and loan firms or credit unions may be submitted as cash alternatives to meet the bonding requirements.
- There are several special requirements for the deposits, as well as special assignment forms which are usually available at the issuing banks or savings institutions.
- All cash alternatives to bonds must be retained by the CSLB for 3 years after the end of the last license period they cover, or for 3 years following the completion of the requirement.
- You must obtain an exemption certification to establish an exemption to the bond of qualifying individual for a responsible managing officer on a corporation license. To qualify for an exemption from this bonding requirement, the qualifying officer must own 10% or more of the voting stock or equity of the corporation.
Request for Current Bond Information(Bond Status Letter)
A Bond Status Letter provides information on current surety bonds on a license plus some current status information about the license.
- A fee of $8 must accompany the request.
- Persons who intend to make a claim against a contractor's bond or cash deposit should request a Bond Status Letter.
- Allow about 4 weeks for a response.
Exemption from Workers' Compensation
All licenses on active status, and all applicants for issuance of the license, must file evidence of workers' compensation or exemption from the requirements. Contractors who do not hire employees and who are exempt from this requirement should file this "Exemption from Workers' Compensation".
- The Certificate of Workers' Compensation Insurance is provided by the workers' compensation insurer.
- A certificate of consent to self-insure is secured from the Director of Industrial Relations.
- If a contractor's license is on inactive status with the CSLB, a worker's compensation certificate need not be filed.
Disclosure Statement Regarding Criminal Plea/Conviction
This document must be completed by all applicants for licensure who have any criminal plea(s) and/or conviction(s).
- Using this form, you must list each plea or conviction, regardless of when the crime was committed, or whether it was dismissed or expunged.
- One form must be completed for each plea/conviction reported and all fields of this document must be completed.
Failure to report a plea/conviction is considered falsification of the application and may result in the denial of licensure.
Application for Asbestos Certification
This form is used by currently licensed contractors who bid for or do asbestos-related contracting.
- When a licensee has qualified for this certification, it will be added to the license much like an additional classification.
- In order to obtain the asbestos certification, a contractor must be registered with the Division of Occupational Safety and Health (Cal/OSHA).
Please note that this application is not for the asbestos open-book examination (which is required for asbestos awareness purposes by all applicants for license). That booklet is furnished to applicants with their notices to comply with issuance requirements.
Application for Hazardous Substance Removal Certification
Contractors who wish to perform hazardous substance removal work at specific sites and/or who bid for the installation or removal of, or install or remove, underground storage tanks, must complete this form, to add the certification to their existing licenses.
- Eligibility for this certification is basically limited to licenses having the Class A (General Engineering) or class C-12 (Earthwork and Paving), or, in some instances, the Class B (General Building) license.
- The certification may also be applied for by licensees holding the class C-36 (Plumbing) or the class C-61 limited specialty category for Service Station Equipment and Maintenance.
Application for Registration as a Home Improvement Salesperson
This form is for persons employed by a licensed contractor to solicit, sell, negotiate or execute home improvement contracts.
- A home improvement salesperson must register separately for each contractor he or she represents.
Home Improvement Salesperson Registration Cancellation Request Form
This form is used to cancel a Home Improvement Salesperson’s Registration.
- The request must be received at the CSLB Headquarters office within 90 days of the effective date of cancellation.
- If the effective date of cancellation is not given, the cancellation will become effective the date CSLB receives the form.
Request for General Status Letter
A General Status letter provides current information about a license.
- A fee of $8 must accompany your request for a General Status Letter.
- The Information provided in the General Status Letter will include the business name and address, classifications held, owners, partners, or officers and qualifying persons, and current standing.
- The General Status Letter does not contain license history or bonding information.
Please allow 2 or 3 weeks for a response.
Special Accommodation Request for Examination
In compliance with The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the CSLB provides "reasonable accommodations" for applicants with disabilities that may affect their ability to take required examinations.
- The "Special Accommodation Request for Examination" form must be completed by the applicant and submitted with the application.
Additional forms and information are found on the Contractor's State License Board website: Click here.